The Huntington Township Chamber of Commerce in partnership with our Veterans Committee is launching a Letter to Veterans Program. To show our appreciation for all those who have served our country, we want to send our local veterans’ letters from students. All have served deserve to be thanked for their commitment, sacrifice, and bravery. By definition, a veteran is someone, male or female, who has served our country in the past. Whether it’s a World War or our current climate, our Veterans deserve to know how appreciated their work is. Our goal with this program is to forge strong bonds between students and our Veterans as a way to support our community and bring awareness and gratitude to the sacrifice our Veteran men and women make.
HOW IT WORKS:
- Start with a salutation relevant to who you are writing to.
- For example: Dear Veteran,
- Share a little about yourself: Family, Hobbies, Work, School, Pets, Travel, etc.
- Talk about life and interests: Sports, Weather, Music, Movies, Food, Books, etc.
- Do you have a connection to active soldiers or veterans: veterans love learning about others and learning that you have an aunt, brother, sister, grandparent etc., who has a connection is a great way to bring a smile
- Can’t find the words? Consider drawing or painting a picture instead
DO’S AND DON’T’S:
- Avoid politics completely and religion in excess; however, saying you will pray for them is wonderful.
- Please do not include a date or year on your letter.
- DO: Include your contact information (mail or email) so the letter recipient can reply if you are comfortable
- No glitter or confetti please!
WHERE TO SEND IT:
Please mail all letters to:
Huntington Chamber of Commerce
ATTN: Veteran Letter Program
164 Main Street, Huntington NY 11743
You can also submit your letter online below: